One of the biggest purchases you may make is buying a house. It’s a decision that should not be rushed into. Don’t go buying the first home you see. You need to explore and consider the pros and cons. Here are four things to check when viewing property to help you make a final informed decision:
- Do your homework
- Search for information about the property you want to get and also information about your preferred area. Jumia House website is one of many property portals and the Jumia House Journal has quality resources about everything home related.
- If the property you are viewing has been lived in before, find out why the previous tenants moved out.
- If you have children, be sure to do research on the schools closest to you.
- When you use Jumia House for your property search, do not only rely on our mortgage calculator. Be sure to contact Ghana Home Loans or the bank for their terms are.
- Area check
- Visit the area you want to live in at different times of the day and also on weekends to see what it is like.
- Find out about essential amenities like hospitals, schools or supermarkets to get an understanding of how convenient it would be for you to live in the area.
- Be critical when viewing the property
- Is the plot flat or steep? This would give you an idea of what living there during the raining season would be like.
- Is the property on a busy road? That means there would most likely be noise. Is the road to the property tarred or untarred and how important is that for you?
- Do you need to spend money getting the property to look good? Make sure not to underestimate the cost.
- Does the home have access to water?
- Quiz the agent
- Ask how long the property has been on the market?
- How many offers are there? This will tell you how long till you have to give the agent a decision on if you will rent or buy the property.
- Have people declined to rent or buy the property and why? This would help you make an informed decision
Good luck and Happy property hunting!