Imagine coming home with a guest one hot Sunday afternoon, only to realise that your sitting room has a funny odour? I’m sure you would be quite embarrassed as you seek a can of air-freshener and can’t find any. Don’t sweat it, we bring you a few tips on how to use natural items around the house to deodorise and leave your home smelling nice.
- Lemon and cinnamon: Lemon and cinnamon make a good combination for driving foul smells from the house. Cut up the lemon into small bits and put in a pot of water. Add the cinnamon, leave the pot uncovered and let it simmer on very low heat. The heat releases sweet scent all around the house.
- Baking soda: Your number one cleaning agent can also double up as a deodorising agent, soaking up foul smells. Put some baking soda in bowls and place them around corners of the house. Wiping tabletops with baking soda also helps to eliminate odour.
- Oats: Not only is a bowl of oats quite nutritious, it can also take away foul smell from around the house. Just like the baking soda, leave a bowl of oats around the house to deodorise it.
- Coffee: Good old coffee keeps you awake and neutralises bad smell. And for those who love the smell of coffee, it’s got a sweet smell.
- Fabric softener: Fabric softeners can also serve as air-fresheners. Simply put a cap of the fabric softener in a pot of water and allow to simmer just like you did with the lemon and cinnamon. Enjoy the sweet smell that fills the house.